CCTV footage appears to show Khashoggi body double in Istanbul
Newly leaked CCTV footage has emerged that appears to show a man leaving the Saudi consulate in Istanbul wearing the clothes of the murdered Washington Post journalist Jamal Khashoggi. The agent, wearing glasses and a fake beard in an apparent attempt to further resemble the journalist, is seen touring a number of landmarks in the Turkish city after leaving the consulate. The apparent Saudi aim was for footage of the man to be picked up by CCTV and distributed, thereby bolstering claims made in the days after Khashoggi’s disappearance on 2 October that he had left the consulate unscathed. Late on Friday, after weeks of denials, the Saudis admitted for the first time that Khashoggi, a prominent critic of Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, had been killed after entering the consulate to organise paperwork for his marriage. Saudi Arabia has never produced any CCTV footage of the body double to support its initial claim Khashoggi had left the consulate alive, and either Saudi officials realised the story would not be credible or had been waiting for Turkish officials to be tricked by the ruse.
The footage was handed to CNN news channel by Turkish authorities. The CCTV leak of the apparent use of a body double is significant because it appears to bolster Turkish claims that the Saudis always intended either to kill Khashoggi or move him back to Saudi Arabia. The footage appears to show the Saudi agent entering the consulate without a beard and wearing a blue and white checked shirt and dark blue trousers. Footage from later in the day appears to show him leaving the consulate dressed as Khashoggi, but wearing the same pair of trainers that he had arrived in. The revelation came as a pro-Turkish government newspaper published claims that there had been four telephone calls between the Saudi consulate and the office of the crown prince in Riyadh on the day of Khashoggi’s death.
The Turkish newspaper claim is not substantiated, but previous leaks to Turkish press by Turkish government sources have proved accurate. The phone call claim takes responsibility for Khashoggi’s murder closer to the office of the crown prince, though the content of the calls are not known.
Man captured on CCTV leaving consulate in Khashoggi’s clothes
A man appearing to wear Jamal Khashoggi’s clothes left the Saudi Consulate in Istanbul following his killing there, according to CCTV surveillance video made public on Monday. A man appearing to wear Jamal Khashoggi’s clothes left the Saudi Consulate in Istanbul following his killing there, according to a surveillance video, while a member of Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman’s entourage made four calls to the royal’s office around the same time, reports said Monday. Turkish media reports and officials maintain that a 15-member Saudi team flew to Istanbul on Oct. 2, knowing Khashoggi would arrive for a document he needed to get married. CNN aired surveillance video Monday showing the man in Khashoggi’s dress shirt, suit jacket and pants. The state-run broadcaster TRT later also reported that a man who entered the consulate building was seen leaving the building in Khashoggi’s clothes.
In the days after Khashoggi vanished, Saudi officials initially said that he had left the consulate, implying premeditation on the part of the Saudi team. Yeni Safak reported last week that Saudi officials cut off Khashoggi’s fingers and then decapitated him at the consulate as his fiancée waited outside. Saudi Arabia so far has not acknowledged or explained Mutreb’s presence in Istanbul, nor that a forensics and autopsy expert was also on hand for Khashoggi’s arrival at the consulate. Saudi state media reported that both Prince Mohammed and King Salman made calls to Khashoggi’s son, Salah, early Monday. A Saudi friend of Khashoggi who was in frequent touch with him before his death told the AP that Salah Khashoggi had been under a travel ban and barred from leaving the kingdom since last year as a result of his father’s criticism of the government.
Istanbul’s chief prosecutor had summoned 28 more staff members of the Saudi Consulate, including Turkish citizens and foreign nationals, to give testimony. Some Turkish employees reportedly said they were instructed not to go to work around the time that Khashoggi disappeared.
CCTV shows Saudi operative ‘dressed in Jamal Khashoggi’s clothes and wearing fake beard and glasses after he was killed’
CCTV footage reveals an extraordinary attempt to cover up the alleged assassination of dissident journalist Jamal Khashoggi by a Saudi death squad. The video appears to show a body double wearing Mr Khashoggi’s clothes walking out of the building where the Washington Post columnist was murdered shortly after he disappeared. The surveillance video appears to reveal dramatic new details about the fate of Mr Khashoggi, whom the Saudi government has now admitted was murdered after entering the consulate to complete paperwork required for him to marry his fiancee. He is spotted entering the consulate two hours before Mr Khashoggi arrived on October 2 without a beard, wearing a blue and white checked shirt and dark blue trousers. The same man, it is claimed, then left the building four hours later wearing Mr Khashoggi’s dark blazer, grey shirt opened at the collar and trousers.
According to Turkish investigators, he was later spotted at the city’s famous Blue Mosque back in his original clothes, while an accomplice carries a plastic bag believed to contain Mr Khashoggi’s outfit. Saudi Arabia earlier admitted for the first time that missing journalist Mr Khashoggi was murdered. In a bid to quell growing criticism of the desert kingdom, its foreign minister Adel al-Jubeir has given the first Saudi acknowledgment of Mr Khashoggi’s murder. Mr Al-Jubeir claimed Saudi Arabia still did not know what happened to the body of the US-based dissident, last seen entering the Saudi consulate in Istanbul on October 2 to complete paperwork required for him to marry his fiancee. According to sources in Turkey, Mr Khashoggi was killed by a team of agents inside the consulate.
Eighteen men have been arrested by the Saudis in connection with the killing. Germany also today urged the UK and other EU members to follow its example and suspend arms exports to Saudi Arabia. Meanwhile it emerged today that the crown prince called Mr Khashoggi’s eldest son to express his condolences.